This guide explains the process that must be followed to upgrade or migrate an Engine Yard instance from v6 stacks (or even older ones) to v7 stacks.
Before migrating the stack version to the latest one, please make sure you check the EYC Stacks compatibility matrix. This matrix shows the compatibility between the different versions of Engine Yard Cloud Stack, and which versions of Ruby, Rails, and Database engines can be run on every version of the Stacks.
Also, make sure that you understand that there are differences between v7 and older stacks.
Finally, don't forget to check the Chef Recipes v4 vs v5/v6/v7 articles for more information about Chef Recipes.
Engaging Engine Yard Support
If you decided to migrate your Engine Yard instance to v7, you have different options for accomplishing this task. You can either do it by yourself or engage Engine Yard Support:
- You can follow the below guide and request assistance through support tickets if you find blockers, which will get addressed through the tickets. These engagements are the default approach.
- You can follow the below guide and request assistance on specific topics/issues.
This is provided by the Account Management / Operations Team in the form of a regular 1-hour call with your team where you can bring any questions/blockers.
- You can engage through Professional Services directly by contacting your Account Manager.
In order to activate options 2) and 3) above, either open a ticket citing it specifically or reach out to your Account Manager via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you decide to implement the changes yourself (Option A), you can complete the following steps to migrate successfully their Engine Yard instance to the last version stack:
- Create a Copy of your environment.
- While copying, edit the stack version to Stack-v7
- Boot the new environment.
- Migrate all custom recipes to Stack-v7 as per the v7 recipes available at the ey-cookbooks-stable-v7 repository.
- Apply the configuration changes to the new environment
- Check if Chef successfully runs all of the migrated custom recipes.
- Deploy the application and run further sanity tests. You might find the Troubleshoot Deployment KB Article very useful while in this test phase.
- Once everything is tested and properly working as expected, you can transfer your DB to the new v7 instance using the eyrestore utility described in the Restore or Load a Database KB Article.
Please sign in to leave a comment.