After you have set up your keys locally, added your keys to Engine Yard Cloud, and installed the keys to your applications environment, you are now ready to connect to your instance(s) using an SSH client. This process has two steps:
Getting Amazon Hostname
- Go to your dashboard.
- Click an environment you want to connect to.
- Click on the Copy PHA to clipboard option for the instance you want to connect to.
Connect via Terminal or SSH Client
This method requires that the private keys you generated are located in the
.ssh directory inside your home directory in OpenSSH format. If you generated the keys via CLI, this is the default location.
Open the Terminal.
- SSH using your own amazon hostname and username
deploy. For example:
- You will be prompted to confirm that you want to continue connecting. Enter yes.
- If prompted, enter the passphrase you have previously configured.
This method requires that the keys you generated are in the .ppk format. If you did not create the key pair using PuTTYgen, you need to convert the file using PuTTYgen before completing the steps below.
- Open PuTTY.
- In the category section, go to Connection > SSH > Auth.
- Click on the Browse... option for the Private key file for authentication field.
- Set the Files of type to All Files (*.*).
- Locate the private key, select it and click on Open.
- In the category section, go to Session.
- Enter your Amazon hostname in the Host Name field and click on Open.
- A PuTTY security alert will be displayed. Click on Yes.
- You will be prompted to enter the user you wish to log in as. Enter
- When prompted, enter the passphrase you previously configured.
Via automated SSH link
- From your dashboard, click on the environment you want to connect to.
- Locate the specific instance you want to access and click the SSH link.
- You should receive a prompt to launch an SSH client. Accept this prompt.
You should now be connected to an instance via an SSH session.
If you have feedback or questions about this page, add a comment below. If you need help, submit a ticket with Engine Yard Support.
Please sign in to leave a comment.