In this tutorial, you will be able to deploy a sample application to the Engine Yard Cloud.
Process for deploying the Sample application:
- Sign up for a trial account
- Validate and start your trial account
- Create and deploy the application
- Run the sample application
Sign up for a trial account
NOTE : If you have already signed up for and started your trial account, skip to Create and deploy the application.
To sign up for your trial account
- Submit your request for trial account, click here
- Email address
- Expecting/Currently running no. of servers
- Select Language for the Application
- App name
- website URL
- After you submit your details and request for your trial account, one of our deployment engineer will go ahead and create an account for you and provide you with the account details (username and password) with a running sample application (language you have selected on the submit form).
Validate and start your trial account
As your trial account get created by one of our deployment engineer, you will be receiving an email from Engine Yard.
The process to validate your account:
- An email with subject Welcome to Engine Yard. Please verify your email. Click the link provided on the email to validate your account. This email should be in your inbox a few minutes after your account get created.
- An email will be send by one of our deployment engineer with login details to your account.
Create and deploy the application
The code for the sample application that you create in this procedure is in a public repository in GitHub.
To create the application
- To create an application, select Add an Application which will be seen on the dashboard.
- Select the Language from the Application Language dropdown. By clicking on Rails app (Will be differ depend on the language selected), Git Repository URI will get populated by the git repo for sample application. Select the framework from the Web Application Framework dropdown.
NOTE: The Application name will be auto-populated.
- Click Create Application
- Next step is to configure the environment for the application which will be available on the next screen.
To Create Environment for the Application
- On the create new environment screen, provide a name for your environment and select the environment type from the dropdown.
NOTE: Because this is the sample application, you can accept the rest of the environment defaults in this case. If you were creating your own application, you would need to configure your specific environment at this point.
- Click Create Environment
- After creating environment for the application. Next screen will be available to select the resource or instance.
- On the configuration screen, select the instance type and instance size.
NOTE: As this environment is for sample application, single instance is selected. You may select the instance size that you wish for your application to run from the configuration screen.
- Click Boot This Configuration
- On next screen the environment will start booting up.
NOTE: As the environment is booting up first time, it will take some time to get the instance provisioned.
- After instance provisioned is completed, environment is ready to deploy the code. To deploy your application, press Deploy button.
- After the deploy is completed, verify that the deploy is successful. You should see a similar message to the image below. If you do not see a successful deploy message, deploy logs is available on the environment dashboard. Click view log.
Run the sample application
- Verify that the indicator is green, It might take 5 minutes or more for the new instance to load and the indicator to turn green.
NOTE: A green indicator means that the instance is loaded -- it does not necessarily mean that the application has deployed successfully. A red indicator means there was a problem configuring the instance.
- To check your application, click Visit Your Application.
If you have feedback or questions about this page, add a comment below. If you need help, submit a ticket with Engine Yard Support.