This document provides info about VPC on Engine Yard. Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)enables you to launch Amazon Web Services (AWS) resources into a virtual network that you've defined. This virtual network closely resembles a traditional network that you'd operate in your own data center, with the benefits of using the scalable infrastructure of AWS.
VPC is required for several instance types including:
- Dedicated instances
- R3 instances
- T2 instances
- I2 instances (not yet available on Engine Yard)
- HVM + M3/C3/R3/T2 and receive AWS's enhanced networking.
This document describes:
- Where you can configure or view VPC
- How VPC works on Engine Yard
- FAQs about VPC on Engine Yard
Where you can configure or view VPC
You can configure VPC here and here.
- Create Enviro > Region drop-down
- Account page > AWS Usage table
How VPC works on Engine Yard
Whether VPC is enabled for your application is based on:
1. When your EY account was created.
2. Which regions you used since you created your account.
3. When Amazon enabled VPC by default for the various regions: https://forums.aws.amazon.com/ann.jspa?annID=1875#
4. Special circumstances i.e., some accounts were opted out of VPC, or if you ever, just one time, provisioned something in a region and you forgot about it.
For example, for a newly created account on a specific region, VPC is enabled. However, an old account for the same region which was created long time ago does not have VPC enabled.
FAQs about VPC on Engine Yard
You might want to know these things about VPC on Engine Yard.
What is the symptom of VPC not working or available on my account?
If you want an instance type (e.g., Dedicated) and it does not appear in the drop-down selection list.
What if the region I want is VPC disabled and I really want it?
You need to create a new Engine Yard account in order to access VPC in the desired region.
Can't you just migrate my account from VPC disabled to enabled? Or opt in to VPC?
We are looking into it -- but it's not possible at this time.